Conjunctivitis often referred to as red eye causes inflammation and redness of the conjunctiva. It is a common eye condition that affects people all over the world. Aside from the redness, it can cause itchiness, stickiness and watering of the eye. The condition is caused by a bacterial or viral infection. When it is caused by an allergic reaction it is referred to as allergic conjunctivitis. Another form of conjunctivitis, Irritant conjunctivitis is caused by contact with foreign object or substance in the eye. Infective conjunctivitis will often clear up within a few weeks of treatment. If it is a bacterial infection your eye doctor will prescribe antibacterial eye drops.
In the case of allergic conjunctivitis, it is best to find out the cause of the reaction, how to further avoid contact and use antihistamines to relieve the soreness and itchiness. If you are an eyeglass wearer, it is best not to wear them until the condition has cleared up.
- Separate wash items such as towels and flannels, particularly after infection, coughing or sneezing. Dispose de-santise immediately.
- Keeping contact lenses safe, and not sharing them.
- Washing hands frequently if using toilets in public places.
- Keeping shared spaces disinfected and clean.
- Taking anti-allergen medication during high pollen season.
- Using goggles in public pools.
Patients who have booked to have Lasik treatment in Dubai may be worried about conjunctivitis. It is a mild condition that is almost always temporary. Generally, patients with this condition are unsuitable candidates for laser eye surgery. During your pre-operative assessment your eye surgeon will look at general eye health, treat the condition and monitor your recovery. Once you are completely healed from this condition, your eye doctor will proceed with performing Lasik treatment in Dubai.